Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Why Spain Took All My Money

Check Spain off my "Things You Must Do in Europe" List! It's a beautiful country, with awe inspiring architecture, delicious food (especially for meat lovers like myself) and absolutely amazing shopping!!! (In case you were wondering, those last two are the culprits behind my increasingly thin wallet.)
The beautiful Toledo

My first day in Madrid began much like my first day in London, with a walking tour of the delightful city. It began at Puerta del Sol, the center of the city where the city gates used to stand. After getting a crash course history lesson and an appetite whetting peek at all of the sites of Madrid, I stopped to eat an authentic Spanish meal with some new friends I met on the tour. I wrapped up the first day with a bit of shopping (okay a lot of shopping) and a little taste of the city's night life.

This is Amazing! EAT IT!
On Saturday I took a little excursion to the old capital of Spain, Toledo. Toledo is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen! The architecture is so original and unmodernized, it feels like stepping into a history book. The Cathedral of Toledo is absolutely breath taking too, with its high arches and intricate sculptures, it is by far the most grand cathedral I have visited in Europe. After working up quite an appetite, myself and two others I met on the trip went looking for a hardy meal. We found what we were looking for in a little hole in the wall place called  Casa de Cisneros where we all ordered a specialty of Toledo called Carcamusas a la Toledana which is a pork stew that was TO DIE FOR! Despite my wonderful meal, the highlight of my day was meeting up with my friend Zoe and some of the other globe-hopping WISE girls for dinner back in Madrid.

Some lovely WISE ladies
Palace Real
I spent the last two days of my trip with the girls from Iowa State. We toured the Palace Real, the Cathedral in Madrid, as well as the Reina Sofia Modern art Museum. (Personally, I wouldn't recommend the museum, I mean unless phallic sculptures and paintings are your thing.) On Sunday, we emptied our wallets yet again at the local Rastro Market and ate sandwiches from the famous Ham Museum, and delicious tapas. (Seriously, a meal with meat for less than 25 CHF! Is this heaven?!) I finished up my trip with a visit to Retiro Park after which Zoe and I said our good byes. It was so nice to see a familiar face it really makes being away from the people I love a little bit easier, thanks for letting me tag allong on your adventures, Zoe! I can't wait to see everyone at home and at Iowa State again in the summer!!!

With love, from Lausanne

Mindy


No comments:

Post a Comment