Thursday, May 8, 2014

CERN

So I have been trying really hard to keep this blog well organized by writing my posts in chronological order, but I'm throwing that notion out the window today, and blogging about my day before it has a chance to fade from my memory.

Selfie with the ATLAS detector
The Big Bang
Today, thanks to my good friend, Sandra, I had the opportunity to tour the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the CERN research facility just outside of Geneva, Switzerland. We woke up early to catch a train, followed by a tram to CERN where we explored the exhibits before beginning our group tour. The tour, given by a very knowledgeable American PhD student, included a really cool 3D video and a look at the control room for the ATLAS detector. ATLAS is one of 5 detectors where data is collected from the events produced by the LHC. Inside the LHC, groups of protons are accelerated inside a ring shaped, underground tube that is 27 kilometers in circumference and lies underneath the soil of both Switzerland and France! How cool is that! I finally understand why Leonard was so excited to visit ( TBBT season 3, episode 15 in case you were wondering.) Which reminds me its new Big Bang Theory night tonight! Too bad I will be asleep when it airs *sigh* I guess I will have to watch it tomorrow.

Jet d'Eau
After our tour of the LHC, we headed back to the city center to find food. Our hunger got the better of us, and we quickly resorted to chez Mcdo (french slang for McDonald's). Then we explored some sights of the city including St. Pierre's Cathedral and the famous Jet d'Eau, a 140 meter tall fountain of water that can be seen throughout most of Geneva. Honestly besides that there is not a lot more to see in the city. Unfortunately we could not get out to the United Nations because it was a bit out of the way, but I'm not terribly disappointed about that. McDonald's and giant water fountains are pretty cool in my book!



With love, from Lausanne

Mindy




No comments:

Post a Comment