Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Berlin

Two days ago I set off on a journey to four new European countries completely on my own, and I have to say I was a little scared at first. I woke up at 3am nervous that something would go wrong and prevent me from getting to the airport on time, but the morning went smoothly and I arrived at the airport well before my flight began to board. Once at the airport, any previous worries I had disappeared. I have always found that airports have an inexplicable calming effect on me. Maybe it is because everyone at an airport has a purpose, and a place to be, or maybe it's just the promise of new adventure. Either way, I was content to simply watch the people bustle past until I boarded my own flight to begin the last of my adventures here in Europe before I return home. 


By the time I touched down in Berlin, the sun had risen and I had just enough time to get to the hostel before the walking tour began. The tour started at Brandenburg gate, and the guide took us to many historical sights like Hitler's bunker, the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe, the square where book burnings took place, the building that once held the headquarters of the Luftwaffe and much more. After the tour, I caught a late lunch of currywurst, a local delicacy, near check point charlie, which once served as the allied check point between East and West Berlin. Next, I returned to the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe. This was probably my favorite attraction in Berlin. It is such an emotional place, the architecture of the memorial really makes you feel small, weak and lost. It is a truly moving experience and the museum underneath the memorial is very interesting as well. 

On my second day in Berlin, I explored the East Side Gallery, which is a stretch of the Berlin Wall that has been decorated with murals by various artists, most of which convey strong messages about the history of the wall and the city. After the gallery, I headed to the Berlin Wall memorial site on the other side of town which tells the history of the construction of the wall and commemorates those who died trying to escape over it. Lastly, I toured the DDR museum and spent some quality time reading in the lawn in front of the Cathedral of Berlin before heading back to my hostel for the night. 

Tomorrow morning, I am off to Prague! Let the adventure continue :)

With love, from Berlin

Mindy









No comments:

Post a Comment