Sunday, June 8, 2014

Prague

So I have a confession to make... I may have a new favorite European city and it's Prague! 

This city is wonderful! The architecture here is unlike any other European city I have visited. The buildings are so romantic and ancient looking and there isn't any metal to be found. Each building is covered in yellow or white plaster with terricota shingles that just looked warm and inviting when soaked in the sunlight. The landscape is wonderful too. The river that divides the city is leaped by many majestic bridges, and when you climb one of the large hills that surround the city, you are rewarded with awe inspiring views of the city from above. There is a reason they call it the city of one hundred spires, ya know.

Anyways, now that I am finished with my little plug, here is what I have been up to in this glorious city. When I first arrived, on Thursday afternoon, I checked into my hostel and spent a relaxing evening wondering the streets and sipping wine while reading a book at a small restaurant in old town square. The next morning, I went on a 3 hour walking tour of the east side of the city, including the old town, Jewish quarter, new town, king Wenceslas square, the astronomical clock and much more. Later that evening I had a delicious meal of Czech cuisine which consisted of roasted pork, cabbage, and dumplings with a good Czech beer. It was absolutely delicious. I was surprised to find that much of the traditional food here is very similar to that of Germany. 

On Saturday, my last day here in Prague, it was extremely hot! At first it was a nice change from the mild climate in Switzerland, but by mid afternoon it was nearly unbearable. Despite the heat, I decided to make the most of my last day and embarked on a tour of the west side of the city, as well as the Prague castle. On the tour, we saw great views of the city and the castle, as well as the changing of the guard, St. Vitus cathedral, and the Strahov monastery. After a long day of walking, I was content to spend the end of my adventure in Prague the same way I began it, with a nice dinner, a glass of Czech white wine and a good book.

In a couple of hours I will be on my way to Vienna, Austria (although I think Prague will be hard to beat.)

With love, from Prague

Mindy

No comments:

Post a Comment